Looks like a short one today folks. Chapter 5 is more of a short account of lineage. I suppose that doesn't really mean it will be any more realistic or truthful than the previous chapters though.
Gen 5:3 And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begot a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth.
- Adam lived "an" hundred and thirty years. But wait, there's more, he didn't die then, he only became a baby daddy.
Gen 5:5 And all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years: and he died.
- "Nine hundred and thirty years." Oh My God. I wish I could live a thousand years! How exactly do the writers expect us to believe that our ancestors, who had no medical knowledge, no medicine, no readily accessible food, no domesticated animals, no tools, no weapons, and barely any clothes lived a thousand years? No. No logic here.
Gen 5:23 And all the days of Enoch were three hundred sixty and five years.
- More examples of old aged people.
Gen 5:27 And all the days of Methū'selah were nine hundred sixty and nine years: and he died.
- More old people.
Gen 5:32 And Noah was five hundred years old; and Noah begot Shem, Ham, and Jā'peth.
- Noah. I know that name don't I. Oh yea, this is one of those people that "creationist" believers actually believe existed. We must be approaching that part of the story that tells of amazing events of supernatural overirrigation.
Summary
Ok, so this chapter is a bit boring and tedious. It does tell us a few things though. The writers, who were obviously mortal, wanted immortality, as most mortal beings do. As it was a desire of theirs, they dreamt that it was in their ancestors, and therefore in them to live long drawn out lives. Wishful thinking left in by the writers of their own religion. Of note is the use of names that exist in other creation myths of other, older, religions. I find it odd that so many of these previous creation myths are today seen, even by religious people, as old nonsense. I will leave that for a later post, however.
Next up, Noah, and his amazing story of things that never happened!
So... what? Did you find God already? Been nearly a week!
ReplyDeleteHonestly, I've just had better things to do than read the bible. I'll get back to it though.
ReplyDelete